We aim to make our website as accessible as possible. However if you use a screen reader and require debt advice you may find it easier to phone us instead. Our phone number is 0 8 0 0 1 3 8 1 1 1 1. Calls are free from all major mobile networks.
StepChange Debt Charity logo

Free advice on problem debt
based on what's best for you

0800 138 1111Freephone, including all major mobile networks*

Rent Arrears

If you’ve fallen behind with your rent payments and have built up arrears it’s important to act quickly. If you don’t pay these it may lead to you being evicted from your home.

You need to contact your landlord and tell them why you’ve missed payments and make an arrangement to repay the arrears. To clear the arrears you’ll need to pay your monthly rent payment and something towards the arrears each month. 

Need help with rent arrears?

FREE online debt advice   20 mins

Try Debt Remedy

Freephone, including all major mobile networks*0800 138 1111 Or request a call back

How to repay your rent arrears

Step 1:

Create a household budget. Make sure that you list all of your income and expenditure. Don’t include any unsecured debts, like credit cards, personal loans or store cards, on this list. This is because the consequence of not paying these is not as serious as not paying your rent.

If you’ve got any money left, once you’ve paid all of these household costs, this will be the amount you can afford to pay towards your rent arrears. 

Step 2:

Once you know how much you’ve got left each month you need to contact your landlord to arrange repaying your rent arrears. You can also send them a copy of your budget to show them you’re paying as much as you can afford.

If you rent your home from a private landlord they might be less willing to let you repay your arrears over an extended period, than a social landlord.

Step 3:

You may also find it useful to look into increasing your income or reducing your expenditure. This might give you some extra money to help clear your rent arrears quicker.

Help and advice

We can help you create a personal budget and work out what you can afford to pay towards your rent arrears. All you need to do is call our Helpline on 0800 138 1111 (freephone, including all major mobile networks*) or use our online Debt Remedy tool. All the advice we give you will be tailored to your specific situation.

Helping you become debt free...

"I wish to thank your staff for all the great help they gave me when I was in so much debt. They were a pillar of support to me." (Leslie, Essex)

StepChange Debt Charity logo

Foundation for Credit Counselling (trading at StepChange Debt Charity) is a company limited by guarantee registered in England and Wales (Company No: 2757055 ) and a charity registered in England and Wales (Registered Charity No: 1016630). Registered office: Wade House, Merrion Centre, Leeds, LS2 8NG. Consumer Credit Counselling Service (Scotland) trading as StepChange Debt Charity Scotland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland (Company No: SC162719) and a charity registered in Scotland (Registered Charity No:SC024413). Registered office: 33 Bothwell Street, Glasgow G2 6NL. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

* Major mobile networks include Orange/EE, O2, Vodafone, T-Mobile, Three, Tesco Mobile and Virgin Mobile. Call charges from other networks may vary.