We aim to make our website as accessible as possible. However if you use a screen reader and require debt advice you may find it easier to phone us instead. Our phone number is 0 8 0 0 1 3 8 1 1 1 1. Freephone (including all mobiles).
StepChange Debt Charity logo

Free advice on problem debt
based on what's best for you

Request a call back »
Or call us on 0800 138 1111Mon-Fri 8am-8pm, Sat 8am-4pm

Divorce and separation

Going through a separation or divorce can be stressful and often means your financial situation is affected.

Any joint debts you have with your partner will have joint and several liability. This means that, if your partner can’t make payment to the debt, you will need to repay the full amount.

If you don’t have any joint debts you can get a ‘notice of disassociation’. This removes any financial link with your ex-partner on your credit file. To do this you need to contact one of the credit reference agencies who can remove this link.

Housing and income

If you’re renting a property you’ll need to inform the landlord that the tenancy agreement needs to be transferred into your name only.

If you’ve got a joint mortgage you may want to seek legal advice before you decide what will happen to your property.

If your separation means you’re now the only adult in the property, make sure you tell your local council as you’ll be entitled to a 25% discount on your council tax.

Separation will usually affect your income and living arrangements. This could mean that your benefit entitlement changes. You can use our free benefits checker to find out what benefits you can claim and the amounts you’re likely to receive.


Separation can be hard on children. The Child Maintenance Options website has a variety of tools and guides to help you and your children deal with the seperation.  

You and your ex-partner will also need to arrange child maintenance. Whenever possible it’s always better to try and arrange a family-based agreement. Find out more about the benefits of a family-based arrangement on our child maintenance page.  

Help and advice

Divorce Aid are an independent organisation of professionals who can provide divorce advice to anyone in the UK.

Separation often means your household income will dramatically reduce so you may be struggling to manage your household bills along with any debts you may have.

If need debt advice or information on dealing with your debts, you can use our online Debt Remedy tool. This can provide you with advice and a debt solution that are tailored to your situation.

Has divorce or seperation caused you to fall into debt?

7 Days 7 Ways helps with debt

If you're dealing with the breakdown of a relationship, you may find that your day to day finances are tighter. Our 7 Days 7 Ways email programme gives practical advice to help you with your finances, at a steady and manageable pace.

There is a way out of debt, and it starts here.

Helping you become debt free...

“I wish to thank your staff for all the great help they gave me when I was in so much debt.
They were a pillar of support to me.” (Leslie, Essex)

Foundation for Credit Counselling Wade House, Merrion Centre, Leeds, LS2 8NG trading as StepChange Debt Charity and StepChange Debt Charity Scotland. A registered charity no.1016630 and SC046263. It is a limited company registered in England and Wales (company no:2757055). Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

*This is the average rating of our service on Feefo by DMP and DRO clients three months into their solution.

© StepChange Debt Charity 2016