We aim to make our website as accessible as possible. However if you use a screen reader and require debt advice you may find it easier to phone us instead. Our phone number is 0 8 0 0 1 3 8 1 1 1 1. Calls are free from all major mobile networks.
StepChange Debt Charity logo

Free advice on problem debt
based on what's best for you

0800 138 1111Freephone, including all major mobile networks*

i The advice on this page applies to residents in England and Wales only.

County Court judgment (CCJ). The essential information you need to know.

Don’t panic. These forms are a standard part of the collection process and our information will help you deal with them.

Firstly, you need to double check that what you’ve received is definitely a County Court judgment (CCJ) form. Does your form match all three points in our checklist below?

  1. There's a royal crest and the title 'Claim Form' in the top left hand corner
  2. There’s a court stamp or 'seal' and the name of a court in the top right hand corner
  3. 'N1' is printed in the bottom right hand corner

If all of these things are shown then you’ve received a claim form. The information below will tell you exactly what you need to do with this.

If the form you’ve received doesn’t have all three of these you should contact the creditor that sent it to you and ask them about it.

Need CCJ help now?

FREE online debt advice   20 mins

Try Debt Remedy

Or call our expert debt advisors 0800 138 1111*

8am to 8pm Monday to Friday, 8am to 4pm Saturday.

How to fill in your CCJ form

Part of your CCJ pack will be a form with 'N9A' in the bottom corner. This is called an admission form and you need to fill this in and return it to the creditor that sent it to you.

The time you have to send back the N9A depends on the court that issued the forms.

  • Northampton County Court Bulk Centre – 19 days from the issue date on the N1
  • Any other county court – 16 days from the postmark on the envelope

Remember to send the form back to the creditor. Their address will be on the form, under the heading ‘address for sending documents’.

A step-by-step video guide to completing a CCJ

The video below is a step by step guide to completing your CCJ (N9A) form. As you complete your form make sure that:

  • You listen to the video carefully. Pause and rewind it as many times as you need to
  • The information you give in the form is as clear and accurate as possible

What happens next?

Once you’ve returned your claim form the creditor will decide whether to accept your offer. If the creditor doesn’t accept your offer a district judge will decide a reasonable rate of payment.

Offer accepted (judgment in acceptance)

If your offer is accepted you’ll receive a County Court judgment from the court telling you to pay by monthly instalments. This form is titled “Judgment for Claimant” (admission).

The amount you'll need to pay each month is the amount that you offered in section 11 on your form.

You should send the payment that you offered to the address shown on the judgment not to the court.

Offer not accepted (judgment by determination)

If the creditor doesn’t accept your offer the court will decide what you should pay each month. You'll be sent a form titled “Judgment for Claimant” (by determination) and this will tell you the amount you need to pay each month.

If your offer hasn’t been accepted and you need advice on what to do next you can call us and one of our advisors will help you. 

I didn't return my form

If you didn't return your claim form you'll be sent a 'judgment in default'. If this happens the creditor will set the amount you need to pay. They could ask for the full amount straight away or set the payment at an amount you can't afford.

If this happens you need to call us so one of our advisors can help you.

exclamation mark Important things to remember...

  • Send your N9A form back to the ‘address for sending documents’ which appears on the N1. This may be the creditor or their solicitor. Don't send the N9A back to the court.
  • If you’ve used any additional sheets you need to attach these to the form by stapling them. You also need to write your name and the claim number clearly at the top of each sheet. If you’ve added more than one page clearly number each one, for example, 1 of 3, 2 of 3 and so on.
  • Photocopy the form before you send it and keep the photocopy for your records.
  • Send your completed form by first class recorded delivery and keep proof of postage. Recorded delivery adds 95p to the cost of postage. If you can’t afford this, you can ask for a free ‘certificate of posting’ from the Post Office counter.

Complete your CCJ online

If you don’t have time to reply by post you can reply online (as long as your claim was issued from the Northampton Bulk Centre). You can do this by visiting Money Claim Online and using the log-in details that will be on your N1 form. 

You still have 19 days from the issue date on the N1 to reply online. This can be useful if you’re close to the deadline and don’t have time to get your forms back to the creditor by post.  

question How will a CCJ affect my credit file?

Your CCJ will be added to a public database called the Register of Judgments, Orders and Fines within a month. It’ll then appear on the Register and on your credit file for a further six years.

Once you've repaid your CCJ you can apply to the court for a ‘certificate of satisfaction’. If you send this to the Register of Judgments, they’ll update their list and credit reference agencies to show the debt has been paid.

Having a CCJ on your credit file will make it much harder to take out further credit. However, if you're struggling with debt the most important thing is that you get free debt advice to manage your payments. Once you're back in control, your credit file can be repaired. 

Need debt help?

FREE online debt advice   20 mins

Try Debt Remedy

Or call our expert debt advisors 0800 138 1111

8am to 8pm Monday to Friday, 8am to 4pm Saturday.

Helping you become debt free...

"I wish to thank your staff for all the great help they gave me when I was in so much debt. They were a pillar of support to me." (Leslie, Essex)

StepChange Debt Charity logo

Foundation for Credit Counselling (trading as StepChange Debt Charity) is a company limited by guarantee registered in England and Wales (Company No: 2757055 ) and a charity registered in England and Wales (Registered Charity No: 1016630). Registered office: Wade House, Merrion Centre, Leeds, LS2 8NG. Consumer Credit Counselling Service (Scotland) trading as StepChange Debt Charity Scotland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland (Company No: SC162719) and a charity registered in Scotland (Registered Charity No:SC024413). Registered office: 33 Bothwell Street, Glasgow G2 6NL. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

* Major mobile networks include Orange/EE, O2, Vodafone, T-Mobile, Three, Tesco Mobile and Virgin Mobile. Call charges from other networks may vary.