If you feel a creditor is treating you unfairly you can make a complaint.
The first step is to write a letter to the creditor covering the following points:
- Explain what you feel they are doing wrong, giving as much information as you can. Read the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) guidelines and refer to these in your letter
- Tell them what you’d like them to do to put this right
- Ask for a copy of their complaints procedure in writing so you can see how your issue will be dealt with and how long it should take
- State clearly that your letter is a complaint and if they don’t resolve it, you’ll contact the Financial Ombudsman Service
- Ask them to stop any action while they investigate your complaint
- Ask them to send all their replies in writing
Send this letter by recorded delivery and keep a copy of it for yourself. Keep copies of any replies you get from the creditor.
If you don’t get a satisfactory response, you can take the matter further. For more information on what to do if this happens please call our Helpline on 0800 138 1111.