We aim to make our website as accessible as possible. However if you use a screen reader and require debt advice you may find it easier to phone us instead. Our phone number is 0 8 0 0 1 3 8 1 1 1 1. Freephone (including all mobiles).

Court claim forms and processes

i This page applies to England, Wales and Northern Ireland

N244 and N245 County Court forms. CCJ help

You can apply to set aside a County Court judgment using court form N244.

You need to use form N245 if you want to change the terms of the payment arrangement.

A County Court judgment (CCJ) is a court order making you repay a debt. You need to use the right County Court form and respond as quickly as you can.

Read our guides to:

worried woman reading paperwork

Worried about a CCJ?

Free, online debt advice is available 24/7.

Get debt help now

Setting aside a CCJ: Form N244

You might be able to do this if:

  • You did not know about the CCJ
  • The creditor did not follow the right process

This means, in real terms, it is cancelled. It is also removed from your credit history.

signpost iconFind out more about how to set aside a CCJ.

Click here to see an example N244 form

How do I use form N244 to set aside a CCJ?

1. Complete form N244

Explain why the CCJ should be set aside.

2. Return the form to the court

3. Pay the £275 court fee

4. Let the creditor know you are doing this

If you didn’t respond to the original claim form:

Explain why you did not respond in time.

Provide some background information, like:

  • You have been ill
  • Another reason why there was a delay in applying for the CCJ to be set aside

If you are disputing the amount claimed:

Explain why and provide some evidence to support your claim. Include copies of anything that supports your argument, like bank statements.

Get in touch with us if you are worried about how to deal with a CCJ and other debts you have. We give free and confidential debt advice.

How do I complete form N244?

Follow our guide to completing the N244 court form

In the information box in the top-right hand corner you can find:

  • The name of the court
  • Claim number
  • Warrant number
  • Claimant’s name (the Claimant is the creditor)
  • You are the Defendant and you add today’s date

Question 1:
State your name again here

Question 2:
Tick ‘Defendant’ and add ‘N/A’ to the box next to ‘If you are a solicitor whom do you represent?’

Question 3:
Explain why the CCJ was raised against you and why you are applying for it to be set aside

Question 4:
Tick ‘Yes’ – you will need to send a copy of the CCJ that was sent to you with the completed N244 form

Question 5:
Tick ‘at a hearing’

Question 6:
Enter ‘15 minutes’

Question 7:
Enter ‘N/A’

Question 8:
Enter ‘District’

Question 9:
Enter the Claimant’s name here.

  • This is the creditor who raised the CCJ
  • You should also include their address, which you can find on:
  • Any paperwork they send you
  • Their website

Question 10:
Tick ‘the evidence set out in the box below’

Include any supporting information in box below, like:

  • You are offering to make contractual payments at a rate you can afford
  • You have taken debt advice from StepChange or another advice provider
  • Any consequences of the judgment being carried out. For example, you would be at risk of eviction

Add in any paperwork you have that support your application.

This could be:

  • Emails or letters from your creditor
  • Anything that shows their claim is not valid

Use these N244 guidance notes (pdf) for more help filling out the N244 form.

worried woman reading paperwork

Worried about a CCJ?

Free, online debt advice is available 24/7.

Get debt help now

Varying a CCJ using form N245

Varying a CCJ means asking the court to change the amounts you pay if they are too high.

You can apply for variation at any time if your circumstances change. But there is a court fee of £14 to do this.

If you are on a low income, you may be able to get this done for free.

You can apply for help in paying the court fee online and find out if you qualify.

How do I apply to vary a CCJ?

Fill in court form N245.

This is similar to the N9A admission form you got when your creditor started court action.

You need to fill in details of:

  • Your income
  • Living costs
  • Debts
  • An offer of payment

You can use form N245 to apply for a varying of your CCJ if:

  • You did not reply to the claim form
  • You replied admitting the claim, but did not make an offer to pay
  • You replied admitting the claim, and the creditor accepted your offer of payment
  • You defended the claim but lost

How do I complete form N245?

Explain what you can afford to pay based on:

  • Your household income, and
  • Your household spending

The main sections of the form are the same as the N9a County Court form.

Watch our video for a step-by-step guide to completing the N9a form.


Complete a budget along with the N245 form.

This proves to the court that you are offering what you can afford.

Send the completed N245 form to the court with either:

  • Payment, or
  • Proof you do not have to pay.

The court sends the N245 form to the creditor to see if they agree with the new amount.

  • The court decides a fair payment if they do not agree
  • This is usually done without a hearing

The court writes to you with details of the new payment amount. Keep up with the new payments if you agree.

You still need to pay even if you do not agree. There can be more enforcement action if you do not.

If this happens:

  • You need to keep paying the amount set in the original CCJ judgment letter
  • Do this until the court writes to you with details of the new payments
  • This could take a few weeks
worried woman reading paperwork

Worried about a CCJ?

Free, online debt advice is available 24/7.

Get debt help now

"They were so kind, they listened patiently and helped me through the process" Alison, Kent