We aim to make our website as accessible as possible. However if you use a screen reader and require debt advice you may find it easier to phone us instead. Our phone number is 0 8 0 0 1 3 8 1 1 1 1. Freephone (including all mobiles).
mum and her son counting pennies

Money advice

Helping you take control of your finances and keep on top of your debt.

Get debt advice

Not sure where to start?

We’ve got lots of practical money advice tips on how to keep on top of your debt by reducing your spending and making the most of your money.

If you're struggling to manage your day to day money, we're here to help you take control. Careful budgeting and being more disciplined in the way that you deal with your money will bring you long-term benefits. Creating a plan that allows you to keep track of where your money’s going every month (and how much you can afford to pay your creditors) is essential for a debt-free future.

Our debt information section is a great place to start – you’ll find advice on looking after your money, dealing with creditors and managing debts. For more on money management our budgeting advice section is packed with helpful hints on creating a budget, who to pay first and what to do if you can’t afford to pay your bills.

Need debt advice?

If you're struggling because you've lost control of your financial situation and your debts are growing, get free online debt advice tailored to your individual circumstances.

Get debt advice

Not sure where to start?

Ways to reduce your spending

If you’re already cutting back on your spending, you’re doing the right thing. But could you do more? Here are some ideas on how you can save money.

  • If you plan your shopping and work to a budget, you're less likely to make impulse buys or spend more than you want to. Use a shopping list and stick to it.
  • You should never cut back on essential food items - but are there cheaper brands or supermarket own-label brands that offer better value?
  • Consider switching to a cheaper supermarket.
  • Look out for special offers, keep coupons and remember to use them.
  • There might be reduced grocery items available at the end of the supermarket day. Could you take advantage of that?

If you stay with your current provider, there are other ways you could save money. Most companies offer a discount for paying by direct debit. Or if you have gas and electricity from the same supplier, you could get a dual-fuel discount. Contact your supplier to see if that’s available to you.

Maybe you can reduce your energy consumption. There are many ways you can do this, such as using loft and cavity wall insulation. There might be free offers available. 

Visit Energy Saving Trust or call them on 0300 123 1234.

If you’re a low water user, or you have more bedrooms than people in your home, it might be cheaper to have a water meter fitted. There are also water saving devices that can be used in the home. 

Contact your water company to find out more.

If you can't afford to pay your water bill we have advice on what you should do next as well as what action your supplier can take against you.

These bills can really add up. So it’s worth reviewing the package that you're on to make sure that it offers the best value available. Check with your current provider, shop around or use comparison sites. Here are a few ideas for cutting costs:

  • Change to a combined phone, TV and broadband package. Bundling all three together usually results in a better deal. Think carefully about what you really need. If you can live without those extra TV channels, for example, you can make substantial savings.
  • If it makes financial sense, cancel your mobile phone contract and start using a pay-as-you-go phone. With a pay-as-you-go phone you can control how much you spend more easily.

If you've fallen behind with your mobile phone payments we have advice on what you should do next as well as tips on how to reduce the overall cost of your contract.

One of your biggest monthly bills is likely to be your mortgage or rent. Moving home is probably a last resort, but if you think it’s possible, consider downsizing or moving to a cheaper property.

The StepChange MoneyAware team


Meet our dedicated debt-busting team of experts - super knowledgeable about budgeting, the latest consumer news and all kinds of money-making and money saving tips.

Visit the MoneyAware blog
Couple using a laptop

Are you claiming all benefits you're entitled to?

Make sure you're not missing out on payments that should be made to you.

Use our benefits calculator tool
For more great money-saving tips, sign up to our monthly newsletter.

Increasing your income

When times are difficult, finding ways to boost your income is not an easy task. But if you’re able to work, don’t give up. Keep looking for opportunities that could improve your situation. If you’re already in work, could you increase your hours or take on a second job?

Here are a few other things to consider:

  • Are you claiming all the benefits that you’re entitled to?
  • Maybe you could get a friend to move in and share the bills
  • Do you have unwanted items you could sell, especially larger items that may cost you money to maintain?

Find out more about how we can help

We offer advice online and by phone. Our debt information section is a great place to learn about managing you debts or  getting information on how to set up a budget.

Need debt advice?

If you're struggling because you've lost control of your financial situation and your debts are growing, get free online debt advice tailored to your individual circumstances.

Get help with debt

Not sure where to start?