We aim to make our website as accessible as possible. However if you use a screen reader and require debt advice you may find it easier to phone us instead. Our phone number is 0 8 0 0 1 3 8 1 1 1 1. Freephone (including all mobiles).

Ombudsman and trade bodies

Organisations to contact if you need a complaint investigating and resolving.

Adjudicator's Office

UK-wide: Independent investigation into complaints about HMRC (including tax credits and child benefit) and the Valuation Office Agency (VOA).

Association of British Credit Unions Ltd (ABCUL)

England, Wales and Scotland only: The main trade association for credit unions in Britain.

Association of Business Recovery Professionals (R3)

UK-wide: The main trade body for insolvency practitioners.

Certificated Bailiff Register

England and Wales only: Search through the register of enforcement agents who hold a certificate allowing them to take control of goods.

Citizen's Advice - Consumer Service

UK-wide: Advice service on a range of consumer topics.

 0808 223 1133, 0808 223 1144 (Welsh speaking)                     Visit their website

Civil Enforcement Association (CIVEA)

England only: The professional membership organisation covering bailiffs and civil enforcement officers operating in England and Wales.

Consumer Council for Northern Ireland

Northern Ireland only: An independent organisation dealing with consumer complaints and related issues.

Consumer Council for Water

England and Wales only: The independent watchdog who deal with water complaints.

Consumer Credit Association (CCA)

UK-wide: The main trade body for the doorstep lending industry.

Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)

UK-wide: Regulator for the UK finance and banking industry, responsible for consumer protection and market stability.

Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS)

UK-wide: Free, independent service settling disputes between consumers and providers of financial services.

  •  0300 123 9123 or 0800 023 4567. Text for a call-back on 07860 027 586
  •  Visit their website

High Court Enforcement Officers Association

UK-wide: The trade organisation for High Court enforcement officers.

Housing Ombudsman Service

England only: Investigates complaints about the management and condition of housing of registered social landlords and housing associations.

Independent Case Examiner (ICE)

UK-wide: An independent adjudicator who investigates complaints about poor service, excessive delays and failures to follow guidelines against government agencies.

Information Commissioner's Office (ICO)

UK-wide: Independent body established to uphold information rights and deal with complaints about breeches of privacy laws.

Insolvency Practitioners Association

UK-wide: The trade body for insolvency practitioners.

Legal Ombudsman

England and Wales only: Investigates complaints about legal services, solicitors and claims management companies.

Local Government Ombudsman (LGO)

England only: Investigates complaints about local authorities, councils and other administrative bodies.

London Tribunals

London only: Supports the independent tribunals which consider appeals against Penalty Charge Notices issued by the London Local Authorities and Transport for London. Their website includes a guide to challenging the penalty charge notice (PCN) and London congestion charge processes.

Northern Ireland Ombudsman

Northern Ireland only: Provides links to the Public Services ombudsman, the Judicial Appointments and Local Government Commissioner for Standards.

Office for Judicial Complaints

UK-wide: An independent office which supports the Lord Chancellor and Lord Chief Justice in considering complaints about the personal conduct of judicial office holders.

Ombudsman Association

UK-wide: Provide information about the role of the ombudsman, where ombudsman schemes work and the areas they cover.

Ombudsman Services: Communications

UK-wide: Independent investigation of complaints about telephone companies and internet providers, such as billing and customer service complaints. Previously known as Otelo.

Ombudsman Services: Energy

Not available in Northern Ireland: Investigates complaints about gas and electric companies. Previously the Energy Ombudsman.

Parliamentary & Health Service Ombudsman

England only: Independent investigations into complaints about UK government departments and their agencies, as well as the NHS in England.

Phonepay Plus

UK-wide: Regulator for content, goods and services charged to a phone bill.

Public Services Ombudsman For Wales

Wales only: Investigates complaints about public service bodies in Wales.

Scottish Public Service Ombudsman (SPSO)

Scotland only: The final stage for complaints about councils, the NHS, housing associations, colleges and universities, prisons, most water providers, the Scottish Government, agencies, departments and other authorities.

Society of Messenger-at-Arms and Sheriff Officers

Scotland only: The trade organisation for Messengers-at-Arms and Sheriff Officers

Traffic Penalty Tribunal

UK-wide: Independent adjudicator who resolves disputed local authority penalty charge notices (PCNs).