We aim to make our website as accessible as possible. However if you use a screen reader and require debt advice you may find it easier to phone us instead. Our phone number is 0 8 0 0 1 3 8 1 1 1 1. Freephone (including all mobiles).
StepChange Debt Charity logo

Work and legal

Organisations that can support you with legal issues and problems relating to work.

Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service (ACAS)

Not available in Northern Ireland: Provides free, impartial information and advice to employers and employees on all aspects of workplace relations and employment law.

Action Fraud

England, Wales and Northern Ireland: The UK’s national reporting centre for fraud and cybercrime. Report to them if you've been scammed, de-frauded or have experienced cyber-crime.

Asylum Aid (Migrants Resource Centre)

UK-wide: Free, confidential and independent legal advice for people applying for asylum.


UK-wide: Not-for-profit fraud prevention membership organisation.

CISAS (Communication and Internet Services Adjudication Scheme)

UK-wide: Independent investigation of complaints about telephone and internet providers. The service is provided free of charge.

Civil Legal Advice (CLA)

England and Wales only: Free confidential legal advice, access to legal aid and signposting to local legal advice.

Department of Work & Pensions (DWP)

Not available in Northern Ireland: Administration of most benefits and state pensions. If you're in Northern Ireland you need to contact the Social Security Agency.

Disability Law Service

England only: Free legal advice for disabled and deaf people. Also providing support for carers.


UK-wide: Enquiries about driving licences, road tax and registering a vehicle off-road (SORN).

Law Centres Federation

England, Wales and Northern Ireland: Initial point of contact for seeking free legal help on a local, face-to-face basis.

Leasehold Advisory Service

England and Wales only: Free advice on the laws affecting leasehold properties.

Legal Aid Agency

England and Wales only: Information and guidance on the legal aid scheme, including an eligibility calculator.

Legal Services Agency

Scotland only: Charitable advice centres providing an initial point of contact for those seeking free legal help.

Northern Ireland Courts Service

Northern Ireland only: Information about attending court, paying fines, appealing a sentence, jury service and tribunals.

Office of the Public Guardian

UK-wide: Protects people who may not have the mental capacity to make certain decisions for themselves. For example, concerning their health and finance.

Parking & Traffic Regulations Outside London (PATROL)

England and Wales only: Guide to the local authority penalty charge notice (PCN) process, including how to challenge them.

Parking On Private Land Appeals (POPLA)

England and Wales only: An independent appeals process for people disputing charges issued against people parking on private land.

Pay and Work Rights Helpline

UK-wide: Helpline run by ACAS advising on employment rights.

Prisoner’s Advice Service

England and Wales only: Legal advice and information for prisoners in England and Wales, along with support for pursuing prisoners’ complaints.

Refugee Action

England only: Online advice and support for refugees and asylum-seekers.

Refugee Council

England only: Impartial advice and support for refugees and asylum-seekers.

Rights Of Women

England and Wales only: Legal advice for women about domestic violence, harassment, divorce, relationships, children, civil partnerships and parenting.

Scottish Legal Aid Board

Scotland only: All advice and support relating to legal aid.

Stop Hate UK

UK-wide: Stop Hate UK provides independent, confidential and accessible reporting and support for victims of hate crimes, witnesses and third parties.

The Illegal Money Lending Team

England only: Report a loan shark and get advice on dealing with the situation.

Traffic Enforcement Centre

England and Wales only: National county court centre used for processing parking penalties issued by local authorities.

Wales Illegal Money Lending Unit

Wales only: Report a loan shark and get advice on dealing with the situation.

Work Smart

UK-wide: Website from the Trades Union Congress with information on workplace rights and the duties of employers.

Helping you become debt free...

“I wish to thank your staff for all the great help they gave me when I was in so much debt.
They were a pillar of support to me.” (Leslie, Essex)

Foundation for Credit Counselling Wade House, Merrion Centre, Leeds, LS2 8NG trading as StepChange Debt Charity and StepChange Debt Charity Scotland. A registered charity no.1016630 and SC046263. It is a limited company registered in England and Wales (company no:2757055). Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

We link to external websites where they contain relevant information for our visitors. We're not responsible for the content of these websites, or any infringement on your data rights under data protection regulations by any external website provider.

*This is the average rating of our service based on the StepChange reviews on Feefo by DMP and DRO clients three months into their solution.

© StepChange Debt Charity 2019