We aim to make our website as accessible as possible. However if you use a screen reader and require debt advice you may find it easier to phone us instead. Our phone number is 0 8 0 0 1 3 8 1 1 1 1. Freephone (including all mobiles).

England, Wales and Northern Ireland


How do I make payments on my IVA?

We recommend that you make your IVA payment by Direct Debit. This page lists when you need to make your payment by each month.

We don't charge you for the advice and support we provide before your IVA is set up. However, there are fees involved in running your IVA. Our fees follow the industry standard for IVAs and are set by your creditors. You must agree to the level of fees before your IVA is approved.  We will deduct these fees from your monthly payment, so you don’t have to pay any additional costs. 

Paying your IVA by Direct Debit

We'll collect your agreed monthly payments on the 1st, 10th or 20th of each month via Direct Debit. If we agree to change your payment, we'll amend your Direct Debit, which means that you don't need to contact your bank to make the changes.

If for any reason you're having difficulty making payments, it's important that you contact us immediately. We'll review your situation and discuss the options with you. If you don't make contact or pay the agreed payment into your IVA, your IVA might fail. 

What happens if I miss a payment?

A notice of breach will be issued if you miss three or more contributions (not necessarily consecutively) without prior approval and in line with the terms of your IVA.

This gives you a month to repay the arrears or to ask your creditors to agree to a variation to the IVA. If you do not rectify the breach your creditors will be asked if the IVA should be terminated.

Want to know more about your IVA? 

There are lots of great articles on our website that can help you get the best out of your IVA. They include:

Insolvency Practitioner’s regulated work

Any complaints about the Insolvency Practitioner’s regulated work should be completed online at www.gov.uk/complain-about-insolvency-practitioner

If you need any help with the form you can call the Insolvency Service Enquiry Line on 0300 6780015 (Monday to Friday 8am to 5pm) or you can email


For more details, please visit:


Clare Lindley and James O'Carroll of StepChange Voluntary Arrangements are licensed to act as insolvency practitioners in the UK by the Insolvency Practitioners Association.

Our team is here to help

StepChange Voluntary Arrangements strives to provide the best possible service for our clients.  You can help us by telling us when we have done something well, but also if our standards slip below what you’d expect. 

Please send correspondence to:

Head of VA,


123 Albion Street,



If we’re unable to settle your complaint, you may complain to the regulatory body that licences our insolvency practitioners.

StepChange Voluntary Arrangements is a registered trading name of Consumer Credit Counselling Service Voluntary Arrangements Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of StepChange Debt Charity.