I'm self-employed and struggling to pay my bills
If you’re self-employed, living in England, Wales or Scotland, and looking for help with your debts, contact Business Debtline.
Run by national charity the Money Advice Trust, Business Debtline offers practical self-help to small business owners and people who are self-employed, empowering people to speak to creditors directly, and put solutions in place to resolve their business finance and debt problems.
- give advice on important business debts such as tax and business rates
- provide support if creditors take court action
- help review business finances and decide the next steps to take
- advise on how best to recover debts from other people
- how to close a business if that’s the right thing to do
They can also advise on personal debts such as credit cards and bank loans, and help people to budget better.
Business Debtline is completely free, confidential and independent. Their website contains guides, fact sheets and sample letters, as well as a business and household budget tool. It also provides a webchat service.
If you're self-employed and living in Northern Ireland, get in touch with Advice NI who offer free, independent and impartial advice on how to deal with your debts.
Their telephone based advice is tailored to your situation, whether you're a sole trader, partnership, limited company, and their solutions are designed for both trading and former trading businesses.