We aim to make our website as accessible as possible. However if you use a screen reader and require debt advice you may find it easier to phone us instead. Our phone number is 0 8 0 0 1 3 8 1 1 1 1. Freephone (including all mobiles).
worried woman reading paperwork

Worried about debt?

We can help. Find out how to deal with your debt.

Get advice online

Tax, child maintenance and council tax debt

Deal with debts to government departments or local authorities as soon as possible.

These debts include:

  • Council tax
  • Child maintenance
  • Benefit overpayments
  • Tax debts to HMRC

These are usually priority debts. Not paying them can have a worse impact than other consumer credit debts.

Enforcement could include:

  • Bailiffs visiting you
  • Deductions from your earnings
  • Prison, in rare cases

Read about the different types of debt, how to deal with them, and what action can be taken.

Need help with your debts?