Family based arrangements
You may be able to support your child without going through the Child Maintenance Service.
This is called a family-based arrangement.
You and your ex-partner decide between yourselves how and when you both support your child.
This could mean:
- Making a monthly payment
- This amount is agreed by you and your ex-partner
- You can discuss what is affordable and realistic
- Paying for certain items directly
- For example, school trips or uniforms
- You save the money for these each month instead of making a monthly payment
- Combine options
- Pick one or two items to be responsible for
- Also make monthly payments
- Change payments if needed
Debt in a family-based arrangement
Speak to your ex-partner if you are struggling to pay. You may be able to work together to come up with a plan.