We aim to make our website as accessible as possible. However if you use a screen reader and require debt advice you may find it easier to phone us instead. Our phone number is 0 8 0 0 1 3 8 1 1 1 1. Freephone (including all mobiles).
StepChange Debt Charity logo

Cancelling a recurring payment or continuous payment authority on a payday loan

When you give your credit or debit card details to a company, and allow them to take regular payments from your account, it’s known as a continuous payment authority (CPA). A CPA is also sometimes referred to as ‘recurring transactions’ or ‘regular card payments’.

What is a continuous payment authority?

A continuous payment authority is a type of regular payment made using your debit or credit card. It’s set up when you give your card details to a company so they can take one or more payments from you at a later date.

There’s often confusion around how these payments work, and what rights you have compared to other regular payments such as direct debits and standing orders.

Continuous payment authority is a popular method of payment for:

CPA is different to direct debit. Payments made by CPA aren’t covered by the direct debit guarantee, but the law still offers you similar protections. For example, you’re still entitled to a refund of any money taken without your permission.

Worried about payments to payday loans? Get free debt advice

Try Debt Remedy

Free online debt advice in 20 mins

Get debt help

How do I stop recurring payments for loans?

You can cancel a continuous payment authority by contacting your bank or the company taking the payment.

When you cancel a CPA it means you’re withdrawing your permission for the creditor to use your card details in the future. If any more payments are taken after you’ve withdrawn your permission they’d be ‘unauthorised’.

The deadline for stopping a CPA payment is before the close of business on the working day before your payment is due to be taken.

  • If your payment was due to leave on a Friday, you’d need to get in touch with your creditor or bank before they close on the Thursday to cancel it.
  • If your payment was due on a Monday, you’d need to cancel it before your creditor or bank closes on the previous Friday.

If you miss this deadline you won’t be able to stop the payment being taken.

Template letter to cancel a CPA

To cancel a CPA you’ll need to contact the company taking the payment, or your bank to cancel your recurring payment. This can be done over the phone, by email or in a bank branch, and we also have a continuous payment authority template letter (pdf) you can use to do this. If the payment is due to be taken in the next few days, we recommend cancelling it by phone.

If you call your creditor we’d recommend you keep a note of the time and date of the phone call, as well as the name of the person you’ve spoken to about it. If you contact your bank to stop a CPA you should also contact the company as well, to let them know.

Even if you’ve cancelled a CPA you’ll still owe the money for the payments you’ve agreed to make. If you’re struggling to make the agreed payments you should get in touch with the company to let them know.

Arranging a refund of  an unauthorised payment

If you’ve cancelled a continuous payment authority before the deadline and the payment is still taken, this is known as an ‘unauthorised’ payment. If this happens you should get in touch with your bank to let them know. They should arrange a refund of the payment and any related charges you have may have received due to the money leaving your account.

Cancelling recurring payments to a payday loan

If you can’t afford to make the payments towards your payday loan you should be entitled to cancel them. If your creditor refuses to refund the payment, or refuses to cancel your CPA, you can make a complaint.

Missing payments towards a payday loan may be the sign of a debt problem. If you need help call our free debt Helpline for advice about debt solutions that suits your situation.

Helping you become debt free...

“I wish to thank your staff for all the great help they gave me when I was in so much debt.
They were a pillar of support to me.” (Leslie, Essex)

Foundation for Credit Counselling Wade House, Merrion Centre, Leeds, LS2 8NG trading as StepChange Debt Charity and StepChange Debt Charity Scotland. A registered charity no.1016630 and SC046263. It is a limited company registered in England and Wales (company no:2757055). Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

We link to external websites where they contain relevant information for our visitors. We're not responsible for the content of these websites, or any infringement on your data rights under data protection regulations by any external website provider.

*This is the average rating of our service based on the StepChange reviews on Feefo by DMP and DRO clients three months into their solution.

© StepChange Debt Charity 2018