1. Demand for debt advice is at its highest ever
In 2017, 620,000 people contacted StepChange for help with their debts. That’s one new person every 51 seconds.
2. Younger people are under financial pressure
The proportion of clients in younger age groups has been increasing in recent years. Almost two thirds of the clients we advised in 2017 were under 40 years old, including 14% aged between 18 and 24.
3. More renters are facing financial difficulty
Fewer homeowners and more renters are contacting us for advice. In 2017, four in every five new clients were renters.
4. Our clients struggle to afford essential bills
Last year, two in every five new clients were behind on at least one essential household bill, such as their gas, electricity or rent.
5. More single parents are seeking advice
One in five clients we advised in 2017 were single parents. This is far higher than the average proportion of single parent households across the UK.
Download our Statistics Yearbook 2017 for the full picture*
*Unless otherwise stated, the figures in the documents are based on the 357,386 new clients debt advised between 1 January and 31 December 2017.