You’ve spoken to one of our debt advisors, they've worked out your budget and advised you that the best way to get your situation back on track is with a debt management plan (DMP).
Here’s a step-by-step guide on what you need to do to set up your first debt management plan payment and get everything up and running as soon as possible.
What documents do you need to set up my DMP?
After your debt advice session with us, we’ll send you your personal action plan. If we’ve emailed you your plan, it’ll be waiting for you in your inbox shortly after you’ve spoken to us. If we've posted it to you it'll be there in the next few days.
To make sure your DMP is set up as quickly as possible please send the following documents and information to us as soon as possible:
1. Please send us proof of your highest income. This should match the amount you gave us during your debt advice session. If it doesn’t make sure you include a note to tell us why. It also needs to include your name and can be one of the following:
- Your most recent payslip (dated within the last 3 months)
- A recent bank statement that shows your income received (dated within the last 3 months, and you can also highlight your income figures if you feel this would help us identify it quicker)
- For benefits, please send your most recent award letter (all pages and this should include the amount of benefits that you are currently receiving)
2. A list of your debts. Don’t worry about sending us a statement from each of your debts. We just need the name of the company and your account number with them
3. Your signed DMP agreement. Without this we can’t contact your creditors
4. The completed Direct Debit mandate
Please post these documents to:
Plan Activations, StepChange Debt Charity, 123 Albion Street, Leeds, LS2 8ER.
If you post your information to us, make sure you take your envelope to the post office and pay the correct postage.
If you can scan all of the information we need, you can email it to us instead of posting it. If you don’t have a scanner you can take a picture of the documents on your smartphone and send this to us. Please make sure they’re good quality, clear photos. Don't forget to include your name and client reference number in the email.
Once we've processed your information we'll contact each of your creditors and:
- Tell them you’re coming onto a DMP with us
- Give them a copy of your budget so they know you’re paying as much as you can afford
- Let them know when they’ll get the first payment from us
If any of your creditors contact you, just let them know your plan has been set up, we’ve sent them their proposal and they’ll get their first payment soon.
Get your DMP off to a smooth start by making sure your first payment reaches us on time. There are various ways DMP clients can make their initial payment and when they need to make their payment by.