We aim to make our website as accessible as possible. However if you use a screen reader and require debt advice you may find it easier to phone us instead. Our phone number is 0 8 0 0 1 3 8 1 1 1 1. Freephone (including all mobiles).
mum and her son counting pennies

Grants and funding to pay for energy bills

A lot of people are struggling to pay their gas and electricity bills nowadays. If you’re on a low income or receiving benefits, energy suppliers, local authorities and charities have grants you can apply for. These can to help you to pay your bills.

Gas and electricity debts are priorities. This means if you owe money to your energy supplier it’s important that you have a plan to make repayments. This will avoid you being disconnected. We can work with you on a plan to make repayments.

Get debt help online now

Energy supplier grants

If you have debts with your current energy supplier, there are grants available to help pay the debt off.

Find out if you can apply from a grant from your supplier.

If your supplier isn't listed here, you may still be able to get help. Charis have partnered with UK energy companies to support households, who may be struggling, through the Let’s Talk Energy Fund.

We're calling for immediate support from government, regulators and energy companies to help households cope with energy bills, inflation, and debt.

Read more about the help we're asking for households this winter.

British Gas Energy Trust

The British Gas Energy Trust is open to anyone, not just British Gas customers. If you’ve had debt advice from a trusted organisation like us, they can help to deal with gas or electricity arrears if you’re not able to get a grant from your current supplier.

Check if you can get a grant from the British Gas Energy Trust.

Government help with energy bills

Depending on your situation, there are several government schemes to help with the cost of gas and electricity bills.

Find out what government help is available

Get advice and financial support to improve your home’s energy efficiency

The Energy Company Obligation

The Energy Company Obligation (ECO) is a UK-wide scheme offering energy efficiency improvements for low income and vulnerable households.

The scheme will advise you how your energy supplier may offer to make improvements for free or where your supplier may fund part of the improvement and ask you to pay some of the cost yourself. There’s no obligation to have the improvements or pay more than you want to.

Find out more about ECO and check if you’re eligible.

Local authorities

Some local authorities may have grants or loans to help pay for energy efficiency improvements.

To check if your local council offers these you can find your local council website.

Energy advice, support and help with repairs in Wales

Nest Scheme

The Nest scheme offers a range of free, impartial advice and, subject to eligibility, a package of free home energy efficiency improvements such as a new boiler, central heating, or insulation.

Find out more about the Nest scheme.

Home improvement loans

Essential repairs can be funded through a home improvement loan to pay for work to make your home warm, safe and secure. Interest-free loans of up to £35,000 are available for those who are eligible. The loans are managed by local authorities.

Find out more and see if you can get a home improvement loan.

Energy advice and support in Scotland

Home Energy Scotland

Home Energy Scotland offers advice and support to eligible households, including free or subsidised installation of heating and insulation. This is run on behalf of the Scottish Government.

Find out more about Home Energy Scotland.

Worried about money?

If you're worried about money, we’re here to support you.

Take two minutes to answer a few simple questions and find the right help for your situation.

Get help now