Cost of living support with the rising cost of energy bills
Energy Price Guarantee
England, Scotland, and Wales.
The government introduced the Energy Price Guarantee in 2022.
The Ofgem price cap is now lower than the Energy Price Guarantee level.
This changes how it works.
From 1st October 2023:
The energy price guarantee:
- Only applies to homes with a pre-payment meter
- Reduces standing charges instead of unit rates
- Should save the average prepayment meter customer £40 a year
If you do not have a pre-payment meter:
Ofgem has set the price cap at £1,923 between October and December 2023.
The Energy Price Guarantee will kick in again if energy prices rise above £3000.
Find out more at Gov.UK.
£900 one-off Cost of Living Payment for those on means-tested benefits
The £900 cash boost started in Spring 2023.
The second £300 payment from DWP will arrive in bank accounts between 31 October and 19 November 2023.
You are eligible if you were entitled to means tested benefits between 18 August 2023 to 17 September 2023.
- Universal Credit
- Pension Credit
- Tax credits
- Payments come from HMRC if you only get tax credits
- This will arrive between 10 and 19 November 2023
You are not eligible if your benefits reduced to £0 between 18 August and 17 September 2023.
You are not eligible if your tax credits entitlement for the tax year is below £26.
Pensioner Cost of Living Payment
For households getting Winter Fuel Payments.
This payment is:
- Usually paid by Direct Debit
- Does not affect other benefits
You get a 2023/2024 Winter Fuel Payment if you were born before 25 September 1957.
You will get an extra £150 or £300 paid with your normal payment from November 2023.
£150 Disability Cost of Living Payment
A one-off, tax-free payment for people on the following benefits:
- Disability Living Allowance
- Personal Independence Payment
- Attendance Allowance
- Scottish Disability Benefits
- Armed Forces Independence Payment
- Constant Attendance Allowance
- War Pension Mobility Supplement
Most people automatically got this payment between 20 June 2023 and 4 July 2023.
Your payment may arrive late if:
- You were awarded a qualifying benefit at a later date or
- You changed the account your benefit is paid into
Report a missing Cost of Living Payment.
The Household Support Fund
The fund helps households pay for basics like food and energy bills.
To find out more and apply, contact your local council.
These one off payments will not affect your debt solution. Use the money to help pay priority debts and bills.