4. Plan some little rewards in (you’re allowed them!)
Having something fun to look forward to can help you feel less overwhelmed. You could set rewards for every time you:
- Stick to your budget during a food shopping trip
- Have a 'zero-spend' day
- Get a reduction on a household bill
- Gave up or reduced a costly habit such as smoking
The rewards don't have to cost anything either! They could be:
- A visit to your local park
- An afternoon spent watching boxsets or playing video games
- Getting stuck into a new hobby like drawing
If you don't want to set the rewards based on achievement milestones, you could have 'time' milestones instead, such as every month, every six months, or even every year – whatever keeps you on track.
5. Visualise your progress
Spreadsheets and budget templates are great tools to use during your debt solution, but they're not always exciting. You could create a 'debt thermometer' or other fun visual that you can colour in to show how much progress you've made.
If you know when your debt solution ends or you have an upcoming milestone (such as one year into your debt solution, if it's longer than a year), you could get a wall calendar and cross the days off until you reach your goal.
6. Keep learning about debt and what your rights are
Knowing where you stand and learning what you can do with money is key to keeping motivated. Our monthly MoneyAware newsletter is packed with money-saving, money-making and budgeting tips.
Our Debt Info section also has lots of great resources on topics such as:
7. Talk to others who are also dealing with debts
There are several online communities where people who are dealing with debt can share their experiences and get support.
Our Facebook page is also a great place to connect with other clients who know what you're going through.
8. Read success stories from other clients
People just like you are putting their debts behind them for good every day. If you need a bit of encouragement, you'll find several inspiring stories from clients just like you on our reviews page.