Bankruptcy and my employment
Many jobs are not affected at all if you go bankrupt. However, with some types of employment bankruptcy can have severe consequences, so it’s always important to check first.
In some jobs, a record of bankruptcy may lead to dismissal, demotion or other issues. Some professional membership bodies don’t allow undischarged bankrupts to remain members.
If you work in the following industries, you should check whether bankruptcy will have any effect on your job:
- Armed forces
- Cash handling, for example in banking, payroll or security
- Financial services, for example an accountant, mortgage broker, stock broker or financial advisor
- Law, for example a solicitor or legal executive
- Medicine, for example a GP or dentist
- Property, for example an estate agent or letting agent
- Pub licensee
- Self-employment as a sole trader or partnership