This latest report provides insight into the demographic and debt information of new clients who first received debt advice in July 2021. It also includes the latest insights on our website traffic trends.
Our key findings from July 2021:
- StepChange provided full debt advice to over 13,000 new clients in this month. The number of new clients advised remains lower than pre-pandemic levels, however new clients continue to be affected by life events which have caused problem debt. This includes events such as unemployment, illness or injury, reduction to income or benefits, or impacts related to Covid-19.
- The charity has seen a small increase in the proportion of clients in full-time employment over recent months, with around two in five (39%) clients first advised in July in full time employment.
- However, overall new clients seeking full debt advice continue to have similar characteristics to new clients in previous months. For example, the charity continued to advise disproportionate amounts of women, younger age groups and renters.
- More than one third (35%) of clients are renting in the private rented sector. Despite small increases among the proportion of homeowners between June and July, this continues to be the most common housing type among new clients.
- In July 2021, the StepChange Debt Charity website received visits from over 300,000 users looking for advice or information with their debts.
Take a look at the full report to find out more.
This is the latest report in our series detailing data during the pandemic.
Our previous reports