We aim to make our website as accessible as possible. However if you use a screen reader and require debt advice you may find it easier to phone us instead. Our phone number is 0 8 0 0 1 3 8 1 1 1 1. Freephone (including all mobiles).
woman paying at the checkout

Worried about a CCJ?

We're here to help with free, online debt advice tailored to your situation.

Get debt help now

i The advice on this page applies to residents in England and Wales only.

County Court judgment (CCJ)

Dealing with a CCJ

If you’ve received a CCJ from a creditor, it’s important to respond within the timeframe given and understand what your options are when dealing with the CCJ.

Once you’ve received a CCJ ‘judgment for claimant’ letter, there are three options:

  1. Pay the CCJ as the court has ordered
  2. Apply to change the payment terms if you can’t afford them
  3. Apply to have the CCJ cancelled or ‘set aside’ if it should not have happened

These options are explained in more detail in the sections below.

If you don’t do one of these, and you don’t or can’t pay the CCJ, your creditor can begin taking further enforcement action.

Paying a CCJ

If you returned your court forms on time, and the creditor or court agreed that the amount you were offering was fair, the CCJ may be set at the amount you offered. This will usually be paid in monthly instalments.

As long as you pay the correct amount on time, the further action your creditor can take is limited. If you’re a homeowner, they can apply for a charging order to secure the debt against your property. But apart from this, there’s no other enforcement action they can take.

You’ll need to make sure your payments are made to the creditor or their agent or solicitor. The contact details to make payments will be shown on the judgment letter. We recommend asking for the creditor’s bank details so you can set up a standing order payment from your bank, which reduces the risk of you missing a payment.

If anything changes in future and you find you can no longer afford the payments, you can apply to the court to ‘vary’ the CCJ. This is explained in more detail below.

What should I offer my creditors as payment in a CCJ form?

The amount you decide to offer depends on your individual situation, and what you can afford to pay each month. A good place to start is to look at how much money you have left over each month (also called ‘disposable income’), once you’ve paid for your essential living costs such as rent/mortgage, council tax, food, and transport costs. You should also consider any payments to priority arrears first.

Make sure your offer of payment is realistic, and don’t offer more than you can afford, as you may fall behind or miss payments. You should ensure the CCJ is getting a fair share of your disposable income along with your other non-priority debts.

If you don’t have any money left over once you’ve paid your priority bills and debts, then you could make a token offer of payment of £1. The court may then decide to not set any instalments. However, while this might mean you don’t make payments that you can’t afford, it allows your creditor to immediately enforce the judgment (known as ‘judgment forthwith’). Your creditor could then take further court action such as an attachment of earnings order or bailiff action.

We wouldn’t recommend leaving the offer of payment section blank or writing “£0” as the court will almost certainly give a judgment forthwith.

Worried about a County Court judgment?

woman paying at the checkout

Worried about a CCJ?

Free, online debt advice is available 24/7.

Get debt help now

Redetermine or vary a CCJ

Redetermining a CCJ is when you apply to change the payment terms if you can’t afford them.

If you didn’t return your admission form on time, or if the creditor and court didn’t agree with the amount you offered to pay, you may get a CCJ which you can’t afford to pay.

This might be set with monthly instalments you can’t afford, or it might tell you to pay the whole amount straight away. The term used on the CCJ judgment letter for debts payable in full immediately is ‘forthwith’.

In most cases you can ask the court to reconsider, but you must act quickly.

There are two ways to ask the court to reconsider the payments:


This process allows you to ask the court to review the payments you were told to make to the CCJ and change them if they’re too high. This is free to apply for, but is only available if the following conditions are met:

  1. The CCJ was a ‘judgment after determination’ – this will be stated on the judgment letter. This means you returned your paperwork on time, the creditor refused your offer and the court made a decision or ‘determination’ about the rate of payment
  1. Your application for redetermination is received by the court no later than 16 days from the date of judgment on the CCJ judgment letter

You apply for redetermination by writing to the court and enclosing a copy of your budget showing the amount you can pay. We have a redetermination example letter you can use to do this, and we can help you make a budget.

If your original CCJ payment was decided by a court officer, when you apply for redetermination a District Judge will review your case and decide what the rate of payment should be, usually without a hearing.

But if the original CCJ payment was decided by a District Judge, you’ll be asked to attend your local County Court hearing centre for a hearing to decide the new rate of payment.

If original CCJ payments were decided by a District Judge at a hearing, you won’t be able to apply for free redetermination. This doesn’t happen often because most CCJs are decided by court officers with no hearing.


This process asks the court to change the instalments if they’re too high.

You can apply for variation at any time if your circumstances change, but there’s a court fee of £14 to do this. If you’re on a low income, you may be able to get this for free. You can apply for help in paying the court fee online and find out if you qualify.

To apply for variation you need to fill in court form N245 Application for suspension of a warrant and/or variation of an order. This is similar to the N9A admission form you were sent when your creditor started court action, and you need to fill in details of your income, living costs and debts, and make an offer of payment.

You send the completed N245 form to the court with payment, or with proof that you’re exempt from payment.

The court will send the N245 form to the creditor to check if they agree with the new instalments. If the creditor doesn’t agree, the court will decide a fair payment. Usually this will be done without a hearing.

The court will then write to you with details of the new instalment. There’s no guarantee the CCJ instalments will be set at the new amount you’ve offered.

To avoid the risk of your creditor starting further enforcement action, if you’re applying to vary the CCJ you’ll need to keep paying the instalments ordered in the original CCJ judgment letter until the court writes to you with details of the new payments. This could take a few weeks.

Cancelling a County Court judgment

You may be able to get a CCJ cancelled if it should never have been issued in the first place. This is known as ‘setting aside’ the CCJ.

If a CCJ is set aside it puts you back in the position you were in immediately before the judgment happened. This means you’ll get a chance to put forward a defence against the CCJ if you missed your opportunity to do this when the forms were first sent out.

Setting aside a CCJ is usually only possible if the following conditions are met:

  1. You have a genuine argument against the CCJ, for example you’d already paid it off, or the claim form was sent to an old address
  2. You act quickly as soon as you find out about the CCJ

However, it is possible to set aside a CCJ if you have a genuine defence, even if the forms were served to the correct address.

There’s a £255 court fee to set aside a CCJ, and you’ll usually need to attend a hearing. If you’re on a low income, you may be able to get this for free. You can find out if you qualify and apply for help in paying the court fee online. We recommend you contact us first if you’re considering this.

If you don’t have a good argument to show why the CCJ should never have happened, applying to set it aside is very unlikely to work. We recommend getting further advice before you apply to set aside a CCJ. Contact us for further debt help.