We aim to make our website as accessible as possible. However if you use a screen reader and require debt advice you may find it easier to phone us instead. Our phone number is 0 8 0 0 1 3 8 1 1 1 1. Freephone (including all mobiles).
StepChange Debt Charity logo
i The advice on this page applies to residents of Northern Ireland only.

Northern Ireland court action

Money judgment. What happens if you receive one?

If you live in Northern Ireland and your creditors start court action they’ll apply for a money judgment.

If you’re unable to pay a money judgment it may be passed to the Enforcement of Judgments Officer (EJO) to recover the debt.

The EJO only collect debts in Northern Ireland. The process for recovering unpaid debts in England, Wales and Scotland works differently.

How does a money judgment work?

Before the EJO can take any action they need to send a document called a ‘custody warrant’.

This means that your goods and assets will be under the control of the EJO and you’re not allowed to sell them.

A custody warrant is usually delivered by post, but sometimes a member of the EJO may visit your home. The items listed aren’t normally removed from your home.

The EJO then conducts an ‘examination of means’ to find out the best way to recover the debt. A report is sent to the creditor explaining what you’ve got available to pay to them. The EJO can then take the following actions:

  • An attachment of earnings order, where the payment is taken directly from your wage
  • An instalment order, where you make regular payments directly to the creditor
  • An order charging land, securing the debt against land or property you own
  • A seizure order, where goods you own are taken
  • An order appointing receiver, where the court takes money someone else owes you, to pay the debt
  • A garnishee order, which gives the EJO power to take payment from your bank account
  • Certificate of unenforceability, where the EJO determines you have no way to pay the debt back in a reasonable time

Worried about a money judgment?

Try Debt Remedy

Free online debt advice in 20 mins

Get debt help

Free debt help and support

If you’ve received court paperwork or been contacted by the EJO, we can provide the debt help and support you need, or call our Helpline (free from landlines and all mobiles).

Helping you become debt free...

“I wish to thank your staff for all the great help they gave me when I was in so much debt.
They were a pillar of support to me.” (Leslie, Essex)

Foundation for Credit Counselling Wade House, Merrion Centre, Leeds, LS2 8NG trading as StepChange Debt Charity and StepChange Debt Charity Scotland. A registered charity no.1016630 and SC046263. It is a limited company registered in England and Wales (company no:2757055). Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

We link to external websites where they contain relevant information for our visitors. We're not responsible for the content of these websites, or any infringement on your data rights under data protection regulations by any external website provider.

*This is the average rating of our service based on the StepChange reviews on Feefo by DMP and DRO clients three months into their solution.

© StepChange Debt Charity 2018