One hour after your debt advice session
Sit down, put the kettle on and have a cup of tea.
The hard bit is out of the way. We’ve gone through your budget and helped you work out how much you can afford to pay your debts each month.
Before you start getting all your information together take 15 minutes to relax and feel happy with the fact that things should only get better from here on in.
If we’ve emailed you your personal action plan it’ll be waiting for you in your inbox by the time you have finished your cuppa (if we've posted it to you it'll be there in the next few days).
The day after your debt advice session
Right, time to get things moving.
To set up your DMP we only need 4 things. To make sure your DMP is set up as quickly as possible please send all of this information to us in one go.
1. Please send us proof of your highest income. This should match the amount you gave us during your debt advice session. If it doesn’t make sure you include a note to tell us why. It also needs to include your name and can be one of the following:
- Your most recent payslip (dated within the last 3 months)
- A recent bank statement that shows your income received (dated within the last 3 months, and you can also highlight your income figures if you feel this would help us identify it quicker)
- Your most recent benefits award letter (all pages and this should include the amount of benefits that you are currently receiving)
2. A list of your debts. Don’t worry about sending us a statement from each of your debts. We just need the name of the company and your account number with them
3. Your signed DMP agreement. Without this we can’t contact your creditors
4. The completed Direct Debit mandate
You can post it to:
Plan Activations, StepChange Debt Charity, Wade House, Merrion Centre, Leeds, LS2 8NG. If you post your information to us, make sure you take your envelope to the post office and pay the correct postage.
Or, if you can scan all of the information you can email it to us at email@example.com. If you don’t have a scanner you can take a picture of the documents on your smartphone and send this to us – but make sure they’re good quality, clear photos. If you do this don't forget to include your name and client reference number in the email.
The week after your debt advice session
As long as you sent us all the information we need we'll be busy setting up your DMP.
Once we've processed your information we'll contact each of your creditors and:
- Tell them you’re coming onto a DMP with us
- Give them a copy of your budget so they know you’re paying as much as you can afford
- Let them know when they’ll get the first payment from us
If any of your creditors contact you, just let them know your plan has been set up, we’ve sent them their proposal and they’ll get their first payment soon.
We'll also send you a DMP welcome pack. It's full of useful information about:
- How your DMP will work
- What to expect from your creditors
- What you need to do to make sure your DMP runs smoothly