Saving money on TV
One of the cheapest ways to watch TV is Freeview, which offers around 70 TV channel and 30 radio stations. Most modern Smart TVs have a Freeview tuner, or you can pick up a Freeview set-top box from around £30.
Movie and TV Streaming services
There are plenty of free streaming services available. BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and YouTube all provide streaming TV that you can watch via the internet on a smart TV, laptop or iPad.
Subscription streaming services including Netflix, Amazon and Disney+ all have thousands of TV shows and films to choose from. Some even have free trials before you sign up.
Be careful of signing up for too many, the costs can soon add up. If you're signed up to multiple streaming services, try picking one streaming service to use at a time to reduced costs. There’s no contract for these services so you can cancel anytime.
How can I reduce my cable or satellite TV contract?
There are several ways you can potentially save money on your TV subscriptions:
- Reduce your premium channels. If you’re already paying for your TV subscriptions, you may not need all the channels you’re currently receiving.
- Contact your provider and ask if there’s a cheaper deal with fewer channels.
- Be polite and friendly. Being nice to the customer service operator may make them more receptive to offering you a better deal
- Have a list of competitor prices to hand when you call: They’re handy to refer to when negotiating a new monthly price
- Ask about promotional deals for new customers. There’s a chance they may give you that promotional deal too, especially if you’re considering leaving
- Check your remaining contract costs and terms before negotiating. As with broadband, you may end up paying more over time if switching to a new provider means paying early exit fees
Can I save money by getting a digital TV, phone and broadband bundle?
Several providers offer product bundles that can include landline, mobile, TV and broadband. Getting all these services in a bundle is only worthwhile if you know you’ll use them all.
It's the same for extra features, such as call waiting, free evening and weekend calls and more technical products, such as static IP addresses.