We aim to make our website as accessible as possible. However if you use a screen reader and require debt advice you may find it easier to phone us instead. Our phone number is 0 8 0 0 1 3 8 1 1 1 1. Freephone (including all mobiles).
i The information on this page applies across the UK.

How to make a chargeback claim

A chargeback is when you ask your credit or debt card provider to reverse a payment. This might be because the retailer went out of business, or you didn’t get the goods or service you paid for.

If you’ve not been able to get a refund from the retailer, you can make a chargeback claim through your credit or debit card provider.

Under what circumstances can I make a chargeback claim?

If you paid for an item via debit card or credit card, you may be entitled to a refund if one of the following apply:

  • Your order hasn’t arrived
  • Your order isn’t as described or is faulty
  • The seller’s no longer trading

If the seller doesn’t give you a refund, or you’re unable to reach them by letter or phone, you can look into getting your money back through a chargeback claim.

Chargeback claims aren't enshrined in law, so you can't technically force a debit or credit card provider to make one on your behalf. However, most card providers are aware of chargeback claims and will do their best to help you get your money back.

Worried about debt?

Money worries?

Find out how we can help you.

Get help now

What’s a chargeback claim?

Credit and debit card companies offer a ‘chargeback’ service. If they believe you’re due a refund, they can instruct your bank to refund the money to you. If successful, the money will be transferred back onto your card.

If you purchased an item from an online retailer or high street shop, you have 120 days from the day you realised there was a problem to make a chargeback claim.

In total, you have 540 days from the date of transaction to make a chargeback claim.

The rules are different for things such as airplane tickets. Should an airline cease trading, the breach of contract starts from the day the flight was due to depart. However, if the airline made you aware at an earlier date that the flight would not be going ahead, you would not be able to make a chargeback claim.

How can I get a chargeback through my debit or credit card?

The process of getting your money back via chargeback will vary depending on how much the item cost:

  • If the item cost £100 or less, you can speak to your card provider in branch or over the telephone. Not all card provider staff may know about chargeback claims, so ask to speak to a manager if you encounter any problems
  • If the item cost more than £100 but less than £30,000, you must tell your card provider that you want a refund under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act. This is different to a chargeback claim because it’s enshrined in law, and it only applies to credit cards

You can find further information on chargebacks and claims made under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act by visiting the Citizens Advice or Which? websites.

My chargeback was ignored or rejected. What can I do?

If your chargeback request has been ignored or rejected, you can complain to the Financial Ombudsman Service. You must allow eight weeks for the seller or bank to respond to your complaint before taking this step. If the seller or bank rejects your request before the eight week deadline, you can contact the Financial Ombudsman for further advice right away.