This latest report provides insight into the demographic and debt information of new clients who first received debt advice in May 2023. It also includes the latest insights on our website traffic trends.
Our key findings from May 2023:
- May 2023 saw 15,483 clients accessing full debt advice which is higher than the same month in previous years, for example May 2022 (14,393) and May 2021 (12,459)
- The StepChange debt charity website had 315,000 users in May 2023, which is unchanged month-on-month
- A 'cost of living increase’ remains as the most common reason for debt and has increased by eleven percentage points between May 2022 (16%) and May 2023 (27%)
- The proportion of clients in arrears with their dual fuel bills is 57% in May 2023, which is six percentage points higher than January 2023 and May 2022 (51% each), among those with a responsibility for paying this bill type
- The proportion of clients in receipt of Universal Credit has increased by three percentage points between April (35%) and May 2023 to 38%
- In May 2023, three in five clients (60%) were in some form of employment which is four percentage points higher than May 2022 (56%)
Take a look at the full report to find out more.
This is the latest report in our series detailing monthly client data