This latest report provides insight into the demographic and debt information of new clients who first received debt advice in July 2023. It also includes the latest insights on our website traffic trends.
Our key findings from July 2023:
- The number of clients accessing full debt advice in July 2023 (14,855) is eight percentage points higher than the same time last year (July 2022 = 13,792)
- StepChange saw a month-on-month increase in the number of website users from 309,346 users in June, to 317,216 users in July 2023
- The proportion of clients citing a ‘cost of living increase’ as their main reason for debt in July 2023 has fallen by one percentage point, for the second consecutive month, to one in four clients (25%)
- In July 2023, the proportion of clients in arrears with their gas bills has decreased by three percentage points month-on-month to 26%, among those with a responsibility for paying this bill type. Furthermore, the proportion of clients in dual fuel (55%) and electricity (27%) arrears has decreased by one percentage point each between June and July 2023
- The proportion of mortgaged clients increased by one percentage point month-on-month to 15% in July 2023
- Three in five (60%) clients are in some form of employment in July 2023, which is three percentage points higher than July 2022 (57%)
- In July 2023, the proportion of women among StepChange’s new client population is 62%, which is one percentage point lower than June (63%)
Take a look at the full report to find out more.
This is the latest report in our series detailing monthly client data